History of our House

In 1880, when the house was built by local businessman Adam Menzies, it was known as Clach-na-faire (stone of watching) after the large boulder stone located within the grounds. It is thought the stone date was placed there over 1,800 years ago by the Picts as a sentinel stone to keep watch over the Roman camp positioned at Dalchampaig (field of the camp), now submerged under Loch Faskally.

Outside House August 1885

In 1885 the house was sold to Sir Francis Boyd Outram, 2nd baronet and used by his family and friends as a summer holiday home. The photograph on the right shows Ethel and Balfour Bryant, 2 of the children of Theodore Bryant, owner of Bryant and May matches, during their family holiday at the house in summer 1885.

John Henry Dixon FSA

 

In 1913, John Henry Dixon of Dundarrach bought the house and was living here when his renowned book, Pitlochry – Past and Present was published. A friend of Japanese author Natsume Soseki  and Lord Baden Powell, founder of the Scout movement, Dixon took a great interest in local history and affairs and his obituary (Perthshire Advertiser 1926) described him as ‘a gentleman of wide culture and fine, genial personality…held in the highest esteem by all classes of the community.’

The next 32 years saw the house under the ownership of the Black family originally from Kirkpatrick Juxta, first John Little Black and then his daughter Elizabeth. Under Elizabeth’s ownership the house was occupied by local solicitor I. D. S. Liddell and his wife during the early years of their marriage.

Upon Elizabeth death in 1951, the property was sold to Lawrence J Hunter L.D.S.initiating a connection with the dental profession which lasts to this day. Mr Hunter divided the house in two, converting the rear of the house – the kitchen, the scullery, the laundry and servants’ lodgings into his home and dental surgery retained the original name of ‘Clach-na-faire’. The front of the house, the family part, became Northlands and since 1954 has been home to local doctors and various Pitlochry Bank of Scotland Bank Managers.

In 1996 Northlands became the Duncan family home and, with the departure of our children to pastures new, we are delighted to offer our home as a place for you to stay when you visit this wonderful part of Scotland.